Sunday 23 September 2007

finished knitting



Two finished projects in one weekend, the 'sox on two stix' in alpine pearl malabrigo, and the v&a birthday card inspired 'romantic style' bag.


I'm so pleased with the bag, even though the stitches do pucker ever so slightly round the intarsia (or is it fair isle?). The grey wool is so soft and supple, and the malabrigo so exactly the right shade of blue I wanted. I used 4mm needles for the whole thing to accommodate both wools. I'll finish it off with a pleated lining in this liberty fabric so it's roomy inside.
I knitted up the socks on a whim, my slipper socks are wearing through and its distinctly autumn now. I used Knitty's 'sox on two stix' method, but made them ankle socks with a standard k2 p2 rib, just cos' that's the way I like to wear them, and even though the wool is plenty soft I find some cotton ankle socks worn underneath is good too. I used 4.5mm needles throughout, left out the suggested thread for heels and toes, then seamed with mattress stitch. I'm not too sure about the graphic look from the way the wool is dyed, but then the colours are nice aren't they? btw, a good way to knit quickly without trying is to put on a tense film like 'master and commander - far side of the world', anyway its a good film.

1 comment:

weaverknits said...

WOW, that bag is stunning. As for the slight bumpiness, well, I've never seen intarsia that hasn't had a few bumps! It's very difficult! Excellent work!